Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Little Lambs

My daughter, Leah, just got engaged and needless to say, her Dad and I are over the moon about it.  We adore her fiance, Matt, (who is 6'5" so no knitted sweaters or socks for him!) and I'm sure this next year will be filled with the who, what, where, when and wow's of wedding planning.  In anticipation of this milestone in their relationship, did I diligently start knitting the traditional Shetland shawl, clutch, lacy fingerless gloves, gifts for the bridesmaids or anything wedding related??  No.  Rather I thought it best to get right to it and start a size 12 month, fingering weight, full-on wool (love Rauma Finullgarn; hope to carry it in the shop one day), stranded, steeked (scary word) cardigan from the pattern by Ann Myhre called Where the Wild Sheep Roam.  A-dorable.  It should only take me a few weeks to knit most of it and um, a year or so to finish the last few inches of the sleeves.  But there's no rush I'm sure. 

It's funny, I didn't expect this odd, second biological clock/grandmom-wannabe kind of thing.  Although my eldest daughter, married nearly two years ago, will surely attest that I've slid from "Honey, I will never be one of those moms that's pushy about wanting grandchildren" (that was last year) to "First baby who sees the light of day gets the Sheep sweater!" (I might have spoken those words last week).  I've become blissfully annoying to my children.  Makes me smile.

Here's the beginning.  I'll be adding 4 more colors so I can't wait to see how that's going to look.  This is my second foray into stranded knitting (mittens don't count) and my first looked like .... Yoda comes to mind.  So far so good this time. 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment